Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

You ARE NOT A Single Parent

Ok, more complaining this time...

I have many friends who are either stay at home moms or working moms, but the one thing they have in common is that they are MARRIED.  So it really irritates me when I hear or read about anyone comparing themselves to a single mom.  As much as I appreciate the empathy and the praise I get, please, please don't ever say "I now know how single moms feel."  Because truth be told, you don't anymore than me staying home one day with my kid would let me say "I now know how stay at home moms feel." 

Yes taking care of children on your own for more than an 8 hour day is tough, but that is not the only thing that makes a single parent unique.  So before you compare yourself to a single mom please consider the following questions when your spouse is away do you:

1.  Worry about how the bills will get paid?
2.  Have to decide if  you will go to work and leave a sick kid at daycare or stay home and not get paid?
3.  Plan babysitters three months in advance for church meetings and a possible date or night out with the girls?
4.  Decide if you will buy groceries, get gas or pay the electric bill?
5.  Resent your situation to the point of hoping it was all a nightmare and you will wake up single and childless until you meet a successful man, get married, save money and then CHOOSE to have a kid?
6.  Cry yourself to sleep overwhelmed at your situation?
7.  Curse the father of your children for only seeing them 16 hours a month and not supporting them financially, emotionally or spiritually?
8.  Find yourself hoping for just one good guy to be Mr. Right so you aren't raising a child alone anymore?


These are just a taste of the things that run through the mind of a single mom, so as much as I feel ya' on the trying to juggle a kid or two for a few days while your husband (or wife) is on a business trip bringing money home to the household please forgive me for not feeling sorry for you, and please understand my desire for you to not compare yourself to me or any other single parent.  Just remember when you are married, and especially if you are a stay at home, as stressful as crying, whining and possibly sick kids are, you're life mate is coming home, he or she is making money so you can buy groceries, drive your car and enjoy the computer you type your status on.  Single parents don't have that comfort and luxury. 

Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment